Thursday 2 July 2015

New adventures, part iv

It's been six weeks of freedom.

I have to make up stories about how I've been spending my time.  In fact, I've started a daily diary listing my activities, on paper, for my own use.  Otherwise I'd wonder myself.

I am writing a book.  That's my primary activity. I'm 75 pages in and have the overall plot sketched out.  I am thrilled that I'm managing to write consistently.  I allocate a minimum of 2 hours and/or 800 words daily, every working day to writing.   It's often longer.  Today was 3.5 hours and over a thousand words.  I guess that's slow, but I've always been a relatively slow writer, even as a professional.  I'm okay with that.

The rest of my time generally gets taken up doing more of the kind of thing I'd be doing evenings and weekends if I were working.   Before it got so hot, I did some baking.  In fact, I experimented with baking over charcoal.  I do some housework, and yard work, and shopping.  I cook meals that are much more elaborate than I'd ordinarily prepare on weekdays. I sometimes go bird watching during the day, or explore parts of town that I might not ordinarily visit.  We've acquired and preserved strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. We did a weekend camping trip, but were able to stretch it to pretty near 4 days because we had no real need to rush back.

Primarily, I don't have to ration my time.  That started out feeling luxurious, but now feels quite normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment