Saturday 20 April 2024

A birding we shall go, a birding we shall go, high ho a merry-oh...

So I no sooner let everyone know that I'm blogging about my trip than I go incommunicado for 6 days.  What gives?

Birds.  Lots and lots of birds.  Dawn to dusk birds some days.  And on the days when we took it easy and only started birding at 9 or 10 am (or quit early at 4 or 5 pm) we generally didn't have wifi.  Alas, most of you aren't birders, so you won't be impressed with the fact that we saw 2 or 3 "lifers" every time we went out by ourselves, and up to 11 when we went out on a group tour that was part of our Featherfest excursions.

Do we have pictures of all of these fabulous birds to share with you? No, not really.  We are not photographers and we didn't even bring along our ancient SLR.  In general we much prefer spending our time trying to see ALL the birds, instead of trying to catch that one good shot of one or two birds.  

But Harvey couldn't resist getting a few cell phone pictures through our spotting scope.

Female and male painted buntings, bathing
Indigo bunting bathing
Solitary Sandpiper
Seaside sparrow
White-faced ibis
I could go on.  And on.  And on.  But most of you are probably bored already, and haven't even clicked the short videos above to view them! So I'll close today's entry by letting you in on a big secret that I've just discovered.

This part of South Texas features a number of nature preserves, mostly along the coast, that were ostensibly created by the Audobon Society to harbour birds making landfall after migrating across the Gulf of Mexico.  They are lovely places, full of trees, water features to allow birds to drink and bathe, and even have a rookery for cormorants and egrets.  And look at that sunset!  The sanctuaries draw birders from all over the world.
Sunset at Smith Oaks Sanctuary

But I've learnt the truth about why they really exist, and who created them. 

It was Big Mosquito.

On my first visit to Smith Oaks, I wore long sleeves and long pants and slathered myself with DEET, and still got about 30 bites in 30 minutes.  And yet, I'm eagerly looking forward to going back tomorrow.  What gives?  

Have I been infected with something similar to the "zombie ant" fungus that's convinced me that it's all going to be worthwhile?  Or is it as simple as mosquitos using hunan agents to spread rumours of a "fallout" of warblers to atrract birders?

However it works in detail, I'm convinced that Big Mosquito created these reserves to ensure they'd have a steady supply of human blood to breed their babies.  And I'm helpless to resist the conspiracy.

Wish me luck.







1 comment:

  1. Wonderful to hear that you saw so many "lifers!" Today from my sidewalk while walking my big fluffy dog I saw a bald eagle flying over our neighbourhood, perhaps scouting and searching for a suitable meal... like a chihuahua.... Not the same as the variety you have seen, but satisfying and thrilling for this suburban resident. :-)

    ReplyDelete