Thursday 12 January 2012

10 pesos (part 2)

The intent of my original "10 pesos" post was to visually show the vast range of things that cost 10 pesos (~75 cents). The problem with this idea is that we keep eating the edible things before I can take a picture of them or I don't have the camera handy to capture things that we don't purchase.

 So here's a (partical) list of today's Mexico City "10 peso" items:

  •  a piping hot tamale purchased from a street vendor, big enough for breakfast. 
  •  offered for sale by hawkers on the Metro:
    • toothbrush with mini toothpaste (guaranteed to completely prevent tooth decay!)
    • a roll of surgical tape
    • a CD of the Beatles greatest hits, complete with live audio preview (one supects Sir Paul doesn't get any royalties from this one)
    • a CD of "beautiful" classical music
    • small bag of squash seeds
    • book of jokes (complete with samples shouted out in the Metro car)
There were several other items offered for sale for 10 pesos over the course of our trip out to Xochimilco, but I'm afraid that those are the only ones I remember....

2 comments:

  1. It snowed here briefly Saturday night 14 Jan. It is supposed to snow for the next six days.

    Right now I can think of nothing finer than being somewhere warm enough that it does not snow while having plenty of time to write. :-) I hope you both are enjoying your time south!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow! Believe it or not, I'm jealous. I'm starting to get homesick, even for snow. You can't make snow angels or snow men in sunshine and dust!

    We're having a great time, but I'm also going to enjoy being back in Canada when the time comes.

    Thanks for reading David.

    ReplyDelete