Thursday 19 January 2012

Tea or Chocolate?

Those of you who read my (lame) explanation of my blog name may be wondering what the status of my caffeine addiction is.

As expected, finding tea in Mexico was almost impossible.  Most restaurants that serve tea at all serve herbal teas of some kind, and seem puzzled when you request "tea negro" (black tea).    If they have it, it's generally cinamon tea. Which isn't bad from time to time, but is not exactly my idea of a "get me up in the morning" beverage.

Fortunately, I brought a supply of tea with me from Canada, which lasted through my month with a house and the ability to heat water in Oaxaca.  Once we gave up the house.....I tried drinking chocolate, I suffered through coffees of various kinds....and concluded that I didn't really have a serious addiction.  At least, I managed to survive without caffeinated beverages on days when I couldn't face chocolate or coffee, without even a caffeine headache to show for it.

If I were a better person, I would resolve to free myself and avoid getting addicted again.  But instead I stocked up on tea when we went grocery shopping for our 4 days staying in an RV in the New Mexico dessert.

I could make up an excuse like "it will be useful to have the tea to warm up and stay awake for the astronomy".  But instead, I'll level with my readers......it's because I like tea.  When we discovered a hip "tea parlour" across the street from our hotel in Mexico City, I found myself craving tea as soon as I noticed the shop.  (Before that, I was fine.)  And thoughts of blogging and drinking tea occupied my mind when Harv proposed the stay in the RV park.

Oh well.  I suspect there are one or two worse things in the world than a tea addiction.  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment